Old 22-02-2012, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_3_] Farm1[_3_] is offline

Default Pruning eucalyptus

"manc1973" wrote in message

Hi,

As a first post I thought I would ask if it's possible to reduce the
size of my two eucalyptus trees. Unfortunately they have become very
leggy at approx 35ish foot. I was hoping to lop off the tops down to
approx 20ft. Would this be ok and would it produce a more bushy tree.

Yes, it would be very OK. However, if you chop them off at about ankle
height, they will come more like a bush than a tree and that is the option I
owuld take in most instances. If you chop them off at 20 ft, they are
likely to come back like a moptop.

In South America, eucalypts are regularly chopped down time and time again
as a renewable source of timber. Having seen the use the people of Sth Am
make of them, I'm trying to get my husband to agree to planting a grove of
Tasmanisn Blue Gums, but he hates the sods so I guess I'll have to work on
finding another euc that he prefers.