Old 22-02-2012, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pruning eucalyptus

On 2/21/12 2:42 PM, manc1973 wrote:
Hi,

As a first post I thought I would ask if it's possible to reduce the
size of my two eucalyptus trees. Unfortunately they have become very
leggy at approx 35ish foot. I was hoping to lop off the tops down to
approx 20ft. Would this be ok and would it produce a more bushy tree.

Kind Regards Clive

I would cut them down to waist high. The stump will resprout with
several shoots.

If you want it bushy, just leave all those shoots. However, they will
eventually grow up as multiple leggy trunks again to the current height.

Alternatively, when the shoots are about 2-3 ft long, remove all except
one. You will then get your original tree in about 3-5 years.

Leggy is the nature form of the tree.

In the meantime, cut the old trunk into logs. Put them in the sun for
about a year. They will make excellent firewood.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see