Old 22-02-2012, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pruning eucalyptus

manc1973 wrote:
Hi,

As a first post I thought I would ask if it's possible to reduce the
size of my two eucalyptus trees. Unfortunately they have become very
leggy at approx 35ish foot. I was hoping to lop off the tops down to
approx 20ft. Would this be ok and would it produce a more bushy tree.

Kind Regards Clive

It would help if said what species they are but many eucalypts naturally
grow tall and leggy. I would take them lower to about 10ft and leave all
the new shoots to spread and bush out. They are likely to sprout new shoots
from the base not just where you cut them. Depending on species the trunks
and branches may be good for construction or firewood or both. Some species
take to coppicing on a regular basis once established without any ill
effects.

David