Old 22-02-2012, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default small chain saw

In article ,
Dave Hill wrote:

I wouls say try a Good hand saw first, I've always gone for Sandvik
they are in a class of their own, it's like a knife through butter,
but it looks as if they now sell as Bahco.

Yes, but that's the blades you are talking about, and they will
fit almost all bowsaws. I agree about them, incidentally.

I'd lash out around =A315.00 for one of their smaller bow saws (Some
good offers on Amazon

I wouldn't. I would get the largest you are comfortable handling,
as the effort goes down disproportionately with length. I use a
30", and would buy a 36" if I had much sawing to do. My experience
of 24" saws is that they are twice as tiring to use as a 30" on
anything above 6" diameter.

Bull Grey's posting is the point - the effort comes in changing
direction (and, worse, bumping into the end). You get a lot more
cut per movement with a longer saw.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.