Old 21-04-2003, 12:32 AM
andrewpreece

Default Vegetables

As a relative newcomer to gardening, I should point out that you ought to
expect
a certain amount of disappointment. For instance, your carrots WILL be
raddled
with carrot fly unless you take precautions ( 3 foot high fleece barrier/
interplanting
with garlic/ resistant varieties ). Beetroot seem easy but keep 'em watered.
Lettuce OK but you MUST keep the slugs off, and keep them watered in hot
weather,
else they bolt. I planted some Lisbon spring onions in my heavy clay soil a
couple of years
back, and whilst they germinated, they amounted to nothing in the end - I
don't know why.
Rocket is easy but sow a little at a time else you'll have a glut ( actually
this applies to all
the others too ).
The other thing is if you have a greenhouse, bring some seedlings on
in there - you'll
get a first crop somewhat earlier. I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs,
but a couple of
years back I planted my first vegetable seeds in my garden with gay abandon
and was
disappointed with the results.

good luck,

Andy.

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"chris.sperry" wrote in message
I'm new to gardening, but have recently had a go at sowing a few spring
vegetable seeds: carrots, beetroot, lettuce, spring onions, rocket.

I'm watching my carefully prepared patch like a hawk, willing a bit of
germination to take place.

Anybody got any idea which row is likely to emerge first?

Probably lettuce, but if you want fast results, you should sow/should have
sown radishes.

Steve