Old 23-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Doghouse Riley's Avatar
Doghouse Riley Doghouse Riley is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Wales just has a lot of water, as in general does the western parts of the country, so there is less to be said for metering, etc, there. S Wales suffered especially badly in 1976, but I think the money has been spent to connect S Wales consumers to nearby resources since then. Your bills may not have gone up so much recently, but they are still fairly high in comparison to most of the rest of us. It is probably related to the history of the timing of investments. I think the highest bills are in the SW of England, where the topography and distribution of the population results in much more pipe in the ground per person than any other part of the country.

Not for profit companies certainly mean that the political inconvenience of profit observed to be paid out to shareholders doesn't exist. Whether this actually reduces total cost is another matter. In general industry without a profit motive has in the long run proved to be inefficient, though it does not always have to be the case.
I'm still not convinced by a lot of the arguments. My water rates are about fifty percent of my community charge, at one time it was just fraction of it and we didn't have hosepipe bans.

A lot of money is being made out of water by utility companies since privatisation, many of them foreign owned.
Successive governments and these firms have had time enough to resolve the problem.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners!
I don't like 'em myself! They're pretty bad.
I grieve over them on long winter evenings."