Old 21-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Paul Kelly

Default Grass cutting

"David King" wrote in message
Hi everyone!
I'm a relatively new gardener with a large lawn - 90x45ft, which is pretty
uneven. I have a Webb petrol cylinder mower which is power driven, and

cuts
the grass OK, but I have to empty the grass box about ten times.... I'm

sure
I would be better off with a rotary mower, esp. due to the up and down
nature of my lawn, but can only really afford one which isn't driven. What
would you recommend I do - keep my driven 18'' cylinder mower and put up
with all the empying, buy a non-driven rotary one or save up for a driven
rotary mower? What is the experience of each different type?
Thanks - David.

Form the Rolawn Turf site:

Should you collect the grass clippings?

It is not necessary to collect your clippings unless they cover the grass
and block the sunlight from reaching the lawn. Grass clippings are rich in
nutrients, and by returning them to the turf in small amounts you actually
are creating a healthier turf. Grass clippings do not contribute to making
thatch. In fact, by adding them back to the turf your thatch will form
slower. On the other hand, you can collect the clippings if you want to.
Clipping removal causes no significant loss of nutrients. Clippings are only
a problem if you mow your grass improperly

you can leave the clippings from a cylinder mower, if you are cutting
frequently enough to avoid clumps of cut grass.

pk