Old 23-02-2012, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allow me to introduce myself . . . .

On 02/22/2012 03:34 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:
One thing often recommended to "improve" clay is gypsum. Not only is a
fair amount needed, and repeat application necessary every couple of
years, but with gypsum chalk is being added and any lime-haters happy in
clay will not like the "improvement" at all.

Agreed on all counts. I'll add that gypsum is great stuff even for
heavy cloddy clay soil that's been improved with lots of organic matter,
it really helped get a finer tilth in our veg patch. Cheap in 50 kg
bags at the farmers supply.

-E