Old 23-02-2012, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default small chain saw

"Emery Davis" wrote in message

Bear in mind if you go with the electric saw, every time the chain
touches earth it will get dull, right quickly.

Any chainsaw hitting earth, stones or other very hard object will dull very
quickly.

De-twigging this sort of wood is time consuming, too.

I find the chainsawing hard work whether high or low; but I've never had
an electric one as my cutting is rarely near mains. I guess the weight
difference would be considerable. In my case (sight unseen mind) I'd be
happier getting most of it out with the bowsaw.

Chainsaws should NOT/ be used above shoulder height in case of kick-back.

As for weight difference, there is hardly any difference in weight between a
16" petrol Chaisaw and an electric one. The lack of wieight of the engine
in an electric one is made up by the weight of the electric motor.

The main cons are

The need to obtain and store petrol in the case of a petrol saw

The need to be fairly close to an electrical supply for an electric saw.

Bill

Bill