Old 23-02-2012, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default small chain saw

Janet Tweedy wrote in news:yKKqeJGLbSRPFwI4
@lancedal.demon.co.uk:

In article
, Dave
Hill writes
I've always gone for Sandvik
they are in a class of their own, it's like a knife through butter,
but it looks as if they now sell as Bahco.

Oh yes mine is also Sandvik, good quality as you say. Still takes
forever to cut through an old wooden cot someone gave me to use on the
fire!!

Janet, as a carpenter and joiner I can say yes Sandvik saws are among the
best, along with Spear & Jackson and Disston(American not Canadian), but
they all come in differing quality and therefore price. They all did a full
range from handyman to pro. £ to ££ to £££ etc.
The snag is that like all saws(hand, electric or petrol/diesal) they go
blunt and need sharpening and it sounds to me that your Sandvik needs
sharpening.
The only exception IMO are the hardpoint(disposable). They cannot be
sharpened without losing their tempered cutting edge, rendering them
useless afterwards. But they are the choice of todays Joiners who earn £20
per hour and can not afford to set and sharpen a saw because it takes too
long when a Bacho disposable costs £7 trade, and stays sharp for a very
long time as opposed to "non-hardpoint" which would dull after an hour or
two of intensive sawing.

Hope this helps

Baz