Old 23-02-2012, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Tackling an overgrown allotment with a bad back

In message , S Viemeister
writes
On 2/23/2012 2:02 PM, Baz wrote:
Gary wrote
wrote:

So the cardboard helps the Glyphosate?

No, the cardboard smothers whatever the glyphosphate didn't kill. If
you don't want the agent orange approach, run over the whole thing
with a good strong mower, then mulch heavily with cardboard, dead
leaves, anything that makes a barrier and will rot. If you do this in
the fall, a rotovator will finish the job in the spring. Also a good
way to convert useless sod into useful veg garden! (Am I the only one
who finds the garden space creeps into the lawn?)

Thought so!
Are you in the UK?
I think not. If you give advice from another country, or even continent,
you should say so. The USA has very different climate changes from us in
the UK.

Doesn't sound US-based to me - most Americans I know, would say
'rototiller', rather than 'rotovator'.

Gary is US based (check his sig Baz) and has posted to urg for years
with useful comments.

Obviously not everything applies to the UK (Gary has much colder winters
for starters), but plenty of things do. In the context of this question
I can't anything in Gary's suggestion that wouldn't apply here as well.

Re NT's suggestion.

Id the OP wants to get the allotment in to production as quickly as
possible, then might not be the best approach (unless you are going to
use some sort of no dig approach and plant through the cardboard maybe.

It's not really the time of year to use Glyphosate. You really want
stuff in active growth. And if you've got lots of bramble and other
heavy stuff, you've still got to physically remove it.
--
Chris French