Old 24-02-2012, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default Peppers

On Feb 23, 12:54*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*songbird wrote:
I would really LOVE some great Bell Peppers this year. I have great
luck with other kinds but I have yet to grow a great Bell

* how are you growing them?

* we have very little trouble
growing them here. *once in a while
a tomato worm or a bit of rot.

* full sun, heavy soil, no
mulch, no fertilizer other than
buried organic materials, planted
after the soil is warm.

* *try
laying off that for green peppers.

* songbird

Uh, the first 10 in 10-10-10 (nitrogen) will encourage leaf production.
I know you know that, but it may not be apparent to others.
--

Billy

billy's political BS snipped

One of the birds wrote:
10-10-10 might encourage leaf
production but not much else.

Some folks are misrepresenting science here. N is essential to keep
the plant growing and in good health. While excess N may encourage
foliage at the expense of fruit in certain conditions, it is still
required by the plant, even in the flowering/fruiting phase.