Old 25-02-2012, 10:45 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

Something with a tree canopy that's at least 6' above ground, no more
than 6' above that but 16' in diameter is going to look like an alien
mutation.
I've got a cherry tree that matches that. Except that the 16ft is mainly to one side of the trunk. And it would look like an alien mutation if it were free standing. (Fortunately, it's growing over the roof of the terrace).

I wonder whether you could do something with something that's slightly weeping. I have a weeping crab apple which is on the right lines. I managed to keep it going upwards by taking out the lowest branches each year, but it's now stopped at about 5ft and is producing only horizontals. Overall effect is indeed of a patio umbrella ;-)

But there might be something that would grow a few feet taller before just producing horizontal branches.