Old 26-02-2012, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Wild Billy[_2_] Wild Billy[_2_] is offline

Default Pruning eucalyptus

In article ,
"Farm1" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
manc1973 wrote:

Hi,

As a first post I thought I would ask if it's possible to reduce the
size of my two eucalyptus trees. Unfortunately they have become very
leggy at approx 35ish foot. I was hoping to lop off the tops down to
approx 20ft. Would this be ok and would it produce a more bushy tree.

Kind Regards Clive

Prune an eucalyptus? Are you mad? Wait for a gentle breeze, and the
limbs will fall off by themselves.

Tut tut, such generalisations, and in public too.

David

Uh huh. I've live around eucalyptus trees all my life. Damn things may
make fast growing wind breaks, but they are dangerous.

Billy that is crap. SOME Eucalypts can be dangerous. Not all Eucalypts are
dangerous.

Reminds me of Australians. They can be brash and impulsive, AND helpful,
good friends. Now don't get your shorts in a twist, Fran. That was meant
as a compliment.

We had a bit of a wind storm today, and the trees here in the hills were
movin' around pretty good, so I was worried what it would be doin' out
on the flats. To get into town, quickly, I need to drive through a stand
of eucalyptus, and was amazed that the road wasn't cluttered with limbs.
So much for stereotyping.

The use of eucalyptus along California roadways continues today, but the
species have changed. In 1961, CalTrans (responsible for maintaining
roadways) planted camal- densis, citriodora, caldocalyx, polyanthemos,
rudis, and sideroxylon. In the 1980's, 11,000 caldocalyx, 10,000
camaldensis, 6,000 sideroxylon, and 3,000 rudis were planted along
highways.

Very few people know that California had malarial problems. Malaria
could be found in the Sacramento Valley and Kern County last century.
Throughout the nineteenth century, it was believed that the eucalyptus
fought malaria simply by disinfecting the ground and air. By the end of
the century, the cause of malaria was found, and the eucalyptus' true
relationship to the disease became known.

The female anopheles mosquito carries the malaria parasite and implants
it in a human's blood system. The mosquito's home and breeding ground is
generally in a area of standing water such as swampland. Because the
eucalyptus absorbs large amounts of water, it can drain swampland
thereby destroying the habitat of the mosquito, and consequently
stopping the spread of malaria.

OK, so it's not so bad, but its still got some rough edges.

--
You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.

Vote 3rd Party