Old 26-02-2012, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Unidentified in my pond

On 26/02/2012 09:18, sweetheart wrote:
I have a "problem" with my pond. I used to have a large colony of frogs.
Last year they didn't come. This year it seems they are not coming. I
live in Cornwall - so no bad weather this year and having looked around
I see other people have frogs now.

I did have newts last summer. Not too many.

So I decided to take a look at what might be in the pond. I found one
frog ( he/she seems to have gone now) one newt last night and a net full
of something I cant identify. I looks like a fish . Its about half an
inch long - some slightly smaller , greyish brown translucent .

I have no fish in the pond and never have. I have trawled the internet
for something like it to no avail. Any suggestions?

PS - I don't want any false trails but if I didn't know better I would
suggest baby sticklebacks but I don't have any fish in the pond, nor
could they have got in ( nearest river 2 miles away).

Also - anyone suggest what might have caused the demise of my pond since
I I seem to have lost everything in there?

Its smallish but I keep the area with long grass and a rockery for
habitat and only strim once a year. I have lilies and oxygenating plant
and it looks clearish , although it was full of stinking tree leaves
until I set to last year.

Any suggestions to a healthy pond ( and about my unidentified) would be
welcome

Thanks.

I'm wondering if your unidentified and uninvited visitor could be a
dragonfly larvae. At a stretch of the imagination they might be likened
to a fish, colouring sounds appropriate, and they are voracious feeders.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London