Old 26-02-2012, 07:12 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbel[_2_] View Post
On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 09:18:05 -0000, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
[color=blue][i]
I have a "problem" with my pond. I used to have a large colony of frogs.
Last year they didn't come. This year it seems they are not coming. I live
in Cornwall - so no bad weather this year and having looked around I see
other people have frogs now.
Timings can vary a lot even within the same garden - my front garden pond usually gets spawn about a fortnight later than the back. [quote]

Quote:
As to the tiny fish-like things a photo put somewhere on the web would
help considerably. Given your description, the only thing that I can
suggest without an image and bearing in mind that your pond is fish
free, is late developing newt larvae - have a look at
Redirect Notice for an example. As with tadpoles I have
spotted them over winter in this 'legless' state and in slightly later
stages of development, with front legs only and then eventually with
all 4 legs.
Newt tadpoles is a possibility. If they're newt tadpoles they should either have feathery gills, or they should have legs.

Newts will happily gobble up all available frog spawn, but that doesn't explain absence of adult frogs.

Apparently about half of male frogs overwinter in the pond and the rest on land - better survival on land, but the pond ones are first in the queue for the females.