Old 26-02-2012, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Unidentified in my pond

"sweetheart" wrote ...

I have a "problem" with my pond. I used to have a large colony of frogs.
Last year they didn't come. This year it seems they are not coming. I live
in Cornwall - so no bad weather this year and having looked around I see
other people have frogs now.

I did have newts last summer. Not too many.

So I decided to take a look at what might be in the pond. I found one frog
( he/she seems to have gone now) one newt last night and a net full of
something I cant identify. I looks like a fish . Its about half an inch
long - some slightly smaller , greyish brown translucent .

I have no fish in the pond and never have. I have trawled the internet for
something like it to no avail. Any suggestions?

PS - I don't want any false trails but if I didn't know better I would
suggest baby sticklebacks but I don't have any fish in the pond, nor could
they have got in ( nearest river 2 miles away).

Also - anyone suggest what might have caused the demise of my pond since I
I seem to have lost everything in there?

Its smallish but I keep the area with long grass and a rockery for habitat
and only strim once a year. I have lilies and oxygenating plant and it
looks clearish , although it was full of stinking tree leaves until I set
to last year.

Any suggestions to a healthy pond ( and about my unidentified) would be
welcome

They could be fish but there would be no doubt about it, they would look
like little fish. Fish eggs are often sticky and cling to the feet of
wading/swimming birds which is how they can get transferred into new
environments. They could also be introduced with water plants. Suggestions
for fish, sticklebacks (maybe the ninespined) and minnows are the most
likely but there would be no doubt in your mind you had fish.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.