Old 26-02-2012, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default There's a hole in my compost, dear Liza ....

In article ,
'Mike' wrote:

Actually, two. One looked very much like a fox digging out a
mouse, but the other was fairly neat, 6" in diameter, and turned
a corner. That's a damn small fox! I could easily get mink,
but I didn't think that they dug much. Any ideas?

Rats?

That's a damn big rat! Holes made by them are 2-3" in diameter and
typically continuous - this was definitely made by a surface dwelling
animal looking for food, rather than for nesting.

One hell of an outsider, but, please don't laugh ...................
blackbirds?

No. Not the sort of holes that they make.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.