Old 26-02-2012, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default There's a hole in my compost, dear Liza ....

On Feb 26, 8:28*pm, wrote:
In article , Sacha wrote:

Actually, two. *One looked very much like a fox digging out a
mouse, but the other was fairly neat, 6" in diameter, and turned
a corner. *That's a damn small fox! *I could easily get mink,
but I didn't think that they dug much. *Any ideas?

Rats?

That's a damn big rat! *Holes made by them are 2-3" in diameter and
typically continuous - this was definitely made by a surface dwelling
animal looking for food, rather than for nesting.

We had ferrets nesting in our compost heap one year. *Wear gloves!

For a ferret THAT size, I would need chainmail-reinforced gloves!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Well a 6inch hole sounds like rabbits to me.