Old 27-02-2012, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aconite woes

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

I have an area with bulbs etc. in, and everything is doing adequately
or better, except the aconites. There are usually plenty of seedlings
but the number of mature (hence flowering) corms is gradually dropping.
This isn't actually under trees, but doesn't get all that much sun
until May, and they aren't mown until they die down.

What do they like that anemones, snowdrops, crocus, daffodils,
bluebells and Puschkinia don't mind not having?

I have a feeling they are very sensitive to soil PH, and I have heard tell
that something eats them in winter (I thought they were poisonous?) but
either way I have never got one to survive here

It's probably not soil pH, as mine won't differ from the Backs,
but being eaten is possible. What is poisonous to mammals is
very often not so to other animals - e.g. slugs can eat Amanita
phalloides.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.