Old 27-02-2012, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sweetheart sweetheart is offline

Default Unidentified in my pond

"kay" wrote in message

Timings can vary a lot even within the same garden - my front garden
pond usually gets spawn about a fortnight later than the back.

I have kept a weather diary for the last 30 years. My frogs have arrived
every year on or within a couple of days of 14th Feb , except when they
havent arrived at all - last year and this year.

As to the tiny fish-like things a photo put somewhere on the web would
help considerably.

I know it would but I dont have a camera nor do I have a web page.

Given your description, the only thing that I can
is late developing newt larvae -

I am wondering about newts, although I didnt see any of them last year
either. I know I have opne adult newt in the pond because I scooped him/ her
out when clearing up the debris yesterday. I put him/her back

Apparently about half of male frogs overwinter in the pond and the
rest on land - better survival on land, but the pond ones are first in
the queue for the females.

That I can believe, I have one frog who may have over wintered. I certainly
do not have a companion for him it seems.
Thanks

--
kay