Old 27-02-2012, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

In article ,
says...

I wonder if anyone could help me decide on which tree to get for my back
garden. I need something to provide a bit of shade, and give some sense of
shelter, as it's a rather exposed coastal site. The soil is very alkaline
and below the shallow topsoil, is stony clay. The site gets fairly windy,
especially in winter. There is lots of sunshine in Summer. It's in the
South West of England with typically only a few nights of frost each

year.

Plain old hawthorn can make a very beautiful and reliable tree,
interesting all year round ands submits to any amount or pruning and
shaping. If you want to push the boat out get one of the fancier species
with bigger berries, like Crataegus orientalis.

Janet