Old 27-02-2012, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

Jake wrote in
:

Be careful. Many bamboos are notoriously invasive and you may end up
fighting an annual (if not more frequent) battle to keep them in
check.

So probably the clumping variety grown in a b-i-g container then. The
difficult bit seems to be finding one that grows about the right height (10
ft approx) and doesn't mind full sun for most of the day in Summer. My
preferred shape is the palm-like varieties.

One thing I like about about the bamboos is that they are fast growing. Are
there other members of the grass family that I could be looking at
(especially things with overhanging palm-like leaves? It's got to be happy
in salty air, strong winds and full sun, and hardy down to about -4C,
ideally.

Al