Old 27-02-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Aconite woes

On 26/02/2012 15:44, wrote:
I have an area with bulbs etc. in, and everything is doing adequately
or better, except the aconites. There are usually plenty of seedlings
but the number of mature (hence flowering) corms is gradually dropping.
This isn't actually under trees, but doesn't get all that much sun
until May, and they aren't mown until they die down.

What do they like that anemones, snowdrops, crocus, daffodils,
bluebells and Puschkinia don't mind not having?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Winter Aconites can sometimes be mysteriously shy to 'take' in some
gardens, in the same manner as Lily of the Valley. However, the very
fact that you have grown them and have progeny from them, suggests to be
that they are happy in your soil.

A few years back, I ordered some WA from a mail order supplier. Soon
after, I had to ring them to complain about a strange densely black
fungus on them. I was told this was some sort of 'soot' mould peculiar
to WA. I was advised to water them with a mild detergent solution and
all would be well. I picked off some of the worst bits, then treated
them with Fairy Liquid (yes, this was the specific brand named). Since
then all has been well and I have both mature flowering plants and lots
of seedlings.

I am wondering, therefore, if you remember seeing anything unusual on
your plants?

One option is to water them with a solution of FL just to be on the safe
side. Another option is to give them a weak tomato feed to help them
build up to flowering size.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London