Old 27-02-2012, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aconite woes

In article ,
Spider wrote:

A few years back, I ordered some WA from a mail order supplier. Soon
after, I had to ring them to complain about a strange densely black
fungus on them. I was told this was some sort of 'soot' mould peculiar
to WA. I was advised to water them with a mild detergent solution and
all would be well. I picked off some of the worst bits, then treated
them with Fairy Liquid (yes, this was the specific brand named). Since
then all has been well and I have both mature flowering plants and lots
of seedlings.

I am wondering, therefore, if you remember seeing anything unusual on
your plants?

No, they are absolutely clean. Well, almost.

One option is to water them with a solution of FL just to be on the safe
side. Another option is to give them a weak tomato feed to help them
build up to flowering size.

That's an idea, but I am afraid that the drying out theory makes a
lot of sense. My soil is 60% sand, and it can get very dry in
late spring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.