Old 28-02-2012, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

Janet wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

Janet wrote in
:

Plain old hawthorn can make a very beautiful and reliable tree,
interesting all year round ands submits to any amount or pruning
and shaping. If you want to push the boat out get one of the
fancier species with bigger berries, like Crataegus orientalis.

Thanks for this suggestion. I was unaware of the Crataegus orientalis
variety. Very pretty leaves - I like that. Very slow-growing though,
I suspect, are they?

Maybe not as fast as native C monogyna. C Prunifolia is relatively
fast
but the long thorns may not be appropriate for the location (handsome
though they are)

You'll find a small specimen grows away faster than a larger one.

Janet

Thanks... Two other shrub/trees that I am considering are griselinia and
tamarisk. Both grow happily in my area.

I gather tamarisk can grow very tall whereas griselina grows to only a few
metres.

Can anyone comment on their suitability for planting close to a house?
Which one grows quickest?

The grielina seems suitable for container growing, but I'm not sure about
tamarisk, since it seems to have a way fo growing off to one side, rather
than vertically. Griselina is evergreen, which is nice, but if I grow it in
a container it's liable to get blown over when the gales arrive.

Al