Old 21-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Jazzman

Default Saving $ on pond salt

I've had ponds for 15 yrs. and have had problems if I didn't use salt. I'm
not sure what part of the country you live in, but here in the Mid-Atlantic
our winters aren't usually that cold. Milder winters increase the risk of
disease in your fish. Correct salt levels control bacteria, fungus, and
parasites that have over-wintered, also if nitrite is present, salt will
reduce the nitrite toxicity. Sooo, if your fish are lethargic and losing
color, it's a good chance you may need salt!
Pondman
MD

"Jerrispond" wrote in message
I have had ponds for over 10 years, and I have never used any salt. the

fish
are very healthy, and so are the plants. Jerri