Old 28-02-2012, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Aconite woes

On 2012-02-27 22:37:50 +0000, Martin Brown
said:

On 27/02/2012 18:31, Spider wrote:

Winter Aconites can sometimes be mysteriously shy to 'take' in some
gardens, in the same manner as Lily of the Valley.

Really. I view Lily of the Valley as a borderline weed.
I do grow the variagated cultivar deliberately.

Please go and stick your head in a bucket! ;-)) I cannot grow the darned
thing wherever I've gardened and I love them!

How strange. I really didn't think they were that tricky to grow!
If they like the conditions the clumps just get bigger almost forever.
(and out compete most weeds - dandelions excepted)

I never do anything special to it. No fertiliser just pull out the odd
weed seedling from time to time and otherwise leave it undisturbed.
Maybe it thrives on neglect?

I would hazard a guess that dappled shade and permanently damp but not
wet clay soil is approximately what they want. Some get afternoon sun.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown