Old 28-02-2012, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Aconite woes

On 27/02/2012 22:37, Martin Brown wrote:
On 27/02/2012 18:31, Spider wrote:
On 26/02/2012 15:44, wrote:
I have an area with bulbs etc. in, and everything is doing adequately
or better, except the aconites. There are usually plenty of seedlings
but the number of mature (hence flowering) corms is gradually dropping.
This isn't actually under trees, but doesn't get all that much sun
until May, and they aren't mown until they die down.

What do they like that anemones, snowdrops, crocus, daffodils,
bluebells and Puschkinia don't mind not having?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Winter Aconites can sometimes be mysteriously shy to 'take' in some
gardens, in the same manner as Lily of the Valley.

Really. I view Lily of the Valley as a borderline weed.
I do grow the variagated cultivar deliberately.

Yes, indeed, Martin. I know people who long to grow it and can't. I
can and, whilst it isn't a problem yet, it's running a bit rampant in
part of my woodland garden.

If you're one of the people who can't grow it, it must be very
frustrating to hear other people refer to it as a weed.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London