Old 21-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Kelly Upton

Default algae in new tank

Ok, thanks for the information. I went foraging and got some duck weed off
my in-laws pond. I am going to cut back on the hours the light is on (it is
at 12 hours) to about 10. Our LFS doesn't have any freshwater algae eaters
other than pleco and I don't like those. I'm going to put in an order for
some of those shrimps tomorrow.

Thanks again

"Kelly Upton" wrote in message
.net...
There isn't much in there. It is a 10 gal. tank with 2 watts per gallon

at
the moment. Life consists of one betta splendens and one banana plant.

We
have well water that I use to do water changes with and it is heavy in
minerals and nutrients. Could be I just need to get more living things in
there to compete?

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I don't think adding a bio-wheel will do much to help your algae

problem.

If algae is growing out of control, you either have too much light, too

many
nutrients (from fertilizing, overfeeding, or overstocking), or both.

How big is your tank, and how much light do you have over it? What

other
plants are in it?

Leigh