Old 28-02-2012, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Aconite woes

On 2012-02-28 09:58:20 +0000, Martin Brown

On 2012-02-27 22:37:50 +0000, Martin Brown
said:

On 27/02/2012 18:31, Spider wrote:

Winter Aconites can sometimes be mysteriously shy to 'take' in some
gardens, in the same manner as Lily of the Valley.

Really. I view Lily of the Valley as a borderline weed.
I do grow the variagated cultivar deliberately.

Please go and stick your head in a bucket! ;-)) I cannot grow the darned
thing wherever I've gardened and I love them!

How strange. I really didn't think they were that tricky to grow!
If they like the conditions the clumps just get bigger almost forever.
(and out compete most weeds - dandelions excepted)

I never do anything special to it. No fertiliser just pull out the odd
weed seedling from time to time and otherwise leave it undisturbed. Maybe
it thrives on neglect?

I would hazard a guess that dappled shade and permanently damp but not
wet clay soil is approximately what they want. Some get afternoon sun.

I've tried them in four different gardens with no success. I've actually
got to the point of wondering if there's something in my skin that acts as
a lotv killer!!
--
Sacha

Lilly of the Valley? A weed to anybody else?

Kindest possible regards

Mike