Old 29-02-2012, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_3_] Pete C[_3_] is offline

Default Print inks in compost

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 20:25:21 +0000, Vegegrower
wrote:

From what I've read, this is feasible so I assume that inks used in
modern paper/card printing and colouring are non-toxic.

That is my understanding. Decades ago, it was not the case, all sorts
of heavy-metal-based pigments and dyes were used, but not these days.
There's too much chance of the dyes coming into contact with
foodstuffs, or young kiddies chewing on Mum's edition of Hello
Magazine, for the printers to risk using toxic pigments and then being
sued under H&S regulations, let alone the risks to the print workers
who have to handle the dyes on a daily basis.

Having just retired from a lifetime in the print trade, I'd suggest no
coloured ink or glossy paper. There are special vegetable based inks for use
in the food trade.
Pete C