Old 01-03-2012, 05:08 PM
JoStar37 JoStar37 is offline
Registered User

Default Can someone offer me some advice with my garden?

Hi

I was wondering if any friendly gardeners out there might be able to offer me some advice please.

I am a complete novice and bought my very first house 2 years ago. The first year I spent doing all the decorating indoors, and in spring 2011 I couldn’t wait to get started on sorting out the back garden. I am lucky enough to have a decent sized back garden, 15metres long by about 7 metres wide and at the time it was a completely grassed area with no plants at all. I saw this as a blank canvas and was so excited by the prospect of designing something beautiful.

The first thing I did was to cut away the turf to make borders which was absolutely back breaking as the soil was a heavy clay. Once the turf was removed, I hired a rotavator and nipped down to my local farm who had lots of manure to give away – it wasn’t rotted but it was my only option at the time as I just didn’t have much money to spend on compost. I then spent a good weekend rotavating the borders and throwing in as much organic matter as I could get my hands on.

I also tried to note where the sun was rising and falling so that I could buy the right types of plant. I then spent alot of money buying many plants from the local garden centre as I thought that I would be able to enjoy them for many years to come.

I take a look out of my window now and see that only a few plants have survived – sorry if I get these wrong - afew hebes, black sambuca, forsinthya, buddleia and a twisted willow and a couple of roses.

On such a beautiful day, I was determined to start again with the garden. I decided just to work over a small area each week, buy some compost each week and try to work my way around the borders. I have just dug a small hole approx 50cm by 50cm and the soil is horrible – all claggy, sticky and lumpy. However what is worse is that past a spades depth, I am hitting a lighter brown layer of soil which seems to be solid clay/sandy? I am trying my very best to loosen it and dig through it with my garden fork but I just don’t have the strength. I have no idea what to do now. It seems to be present around half of my garden when testing areas with my spade.

I know its stupid but I so wanted a beautiful garden as it took my ages to save for my first house and instead I am sat here with tears in my eyes not knowing what to do or where to start. Should I hire another rotavator and start from square one? I live on my own and don’t have much spare cash so I don’t know if there is anything I can do.

Thank you in advance for any words of advice. They will be greatly appreciated - Jo