Old 02-03-2012, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Wild Billy[_2_] Wild Billy[_2_] is offline

Default Can someone offer me some advice with my garden?

In article ,
JoStar37 wrote:

Hi

I was wondering if any friendly gardeners out there might be able to
offer me some advice please.

I am a complete novice and bought my very first house 2 years ago. The
first year I spent doing all the decorating indoors, and in spring 2011
I couldn’t wait to get started on sorting out the back garden. I am
lucky enough to have a decent sized back garden, 15metres long by about
7 metres wide and at the time it was a completely grassed area with no
plants at all. I saw this as a blank canvas and was so excited by the
prospect of designing something beautiful.

The first thing I did was to cut away the turf to make borders which was
absolutely back breaking as the soil was a heavy clay. Once the turf was
removed, I hired a rotavator and nipped down to my local farm who had
lots of manure to give away – it wasn’t rotted but it was my only option
at the time as I just didn’t have much money to spend on compost. I then
spent a good weekend rotavating the borders and throwing in as much
organic matter as I could get my hands on.

I also tried to note where the sun was rising and falling so that I
could buy the right types of plant. I then spent alot of money buying
many plants from the local garden centre as I thought that I would be
able to enjoy them for many years to come.

I take a look out of my window now and see that only a few plants have
survived – sorry if I get these wrong - afew hebes, black sambuca,
forsinthya, buddleia and a twisted willow and a couple of roses.

On such a beautiful day, I was determined to start again with the
garden. I decided just to work over a small area each week, buy some
compost each week and try to work my way around the borders. I have just
dug a small hole approx 50cm by 50cm and the soil is horrible – all
claggy, sticky and lumpy. However what is worse is that past a spades
depth, I am hitting a lighter brown layer of soil which seems to be
solid clay/sandy? I am trying my very best to loosen it and dig through
it with my garden fork but I just don’t have the strength. I have no
idea what to do now. It seems to be present around half of my garden
when testing areas with my spade.

I know its stupid but I so wanted a beautiful garden as it took my ages
to save for my first house and instead I am sat here with tears in my
eyes not knowing what to do or where to start. Should I hire another
rotavator and start from square one? I live on my own and don’t have
much spare cash so I don’t know if there is anything I can do.

Thank you in advance for any words of advice. They will be greatly
appreciated - Jo

"The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always
optimistic, always enterprising, and never satisfied. They always look
forward to doing something better than they have ever done before." -
Vita Sackville-West

As with any good gardener, you're not satisfied, so I guess your on your
way.

--
You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.

Vote 3rd Party