Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Does anyone know what this plant/weed is?

On 02/03/2012 16:42, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 14:01:21 +0000, CheshireCouple
wrote:

Hello everyone, I have three of these plants/weeds in my garden and am
trying to find out exactly what it is. It has long red stems with
leaves on opposite sides of the stem and has dark brown/black single
berries. It seems to grow outwards rather than up. I have included a
photo.

I have spent hours going through images on the internet but cant find
it. Thank you so much for your help!

|Filename: strange plant.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14766|

Sure looks like Belladonna (Deadly nightshade).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropa_belladonna

Atropa belladonna is a member of the Solanaceae. Members of this family
have their leaves arranged alternately, not opposite (as in the OP's
picture).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae#Description

--

Jeff