Old 02-03-2012, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

On 2 Mar 2012 18:12:51 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

What is the best way of keeping rainwater-butt-water clean and unpolluted
so that it remains safely drinkable? The rainwater will be collected from
the roof of my house via the guttering downpipe.

Thanks...

Al

Keeping.....?

What ends up in your water butt will include crud that has collected
on your roof since the last rainfall. Dust and the like and probably
some bird crap that washes down with the water.

You will need to install a water purification system at the outlet
point.

This is why we occasionally empty out and clean our water butts, even
though the water in them is only used to water plants and fill ponds.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.