Old 02-03-2012, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

On 2 Mar 2012 19:28:06 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Jake wrote in
:

You will need to install a water purification system at the outlet
point.

Thanks for the good suggestion. I guess that would be the answer.

Al

Just remember that I said "water purification" not "water filtration".

If you want to drink the stuff, you will need not only a filter but at
least a UV system to make the water safe to drink. You need to take
out the miniscule bacteria that will pass through a filter bed. And
that filter bed will not just be a box of sand - the composition and
size of the filtration materials/particals (plurals) will be a
critical factor.

Rainwater harvesting setups for in-home use will usually comprise
something substantially larger than a water butt - incorporating
underground storage tank(s) and pumping, filtration and purification
systems.

For that matter, how will you keep the tap sterile if it's in the open
air (or even if it's not). If you check a bottled water label it will
usually say consume within a period after opening even if kept in the
fridge indoors. Once the air gets to it, it starts to deteriorate.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.