Old 03-03-2012, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Composting: Cat Manure

In article , says...
Dick Adams wrote:
Is there any reason not to put cat manure in a compost bin?

Dick

You're about to hear all the same reasons I was told not to put dog poo in
the compost bin . See the "What to do" thread that started with my post on
1/31 /12 . Seems it all boils down to "there might be dangerous pathogens in
it since it is predator poo" . IMO , a properly working compost bin will
achieve temps that should kill those "dangerous pathogens" . And that sounds
better than allowing the rain to wash it all back into the soil ...

But can you guarantee that the temperature is hot enough for long
enough? That is, specifically around the feces.

Gardeners often get fairly up close and personal with their compost so
my primary concern would be contact infection.

In a world where some risks are better avoided, IMO avoiding this one is
the better choice.