Old 03-03-2012, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Does anyone know what this plant/weed is?

"Sean Straw" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 00:26:59 +0000, CheshireCouple
wrote:
Thank you so much for your comments, I think it might be Hypericum. I
will be watching out for the yellow flowers to confirm. I hope it isnt
deadly nightshade, just read about it and am scared!

Why would you be scared of deadly nightshade? Do you make a habit of
picking weeds and eating them?

Actually, I do. Many common garden weeds are edible, delicious and just as
(or more so) nutricious as commonly grown greens.

I only eat weeds I can positively identify. For instance, when I weed
in the spring, I pluck wild radish sprouts, rinse them, and add them
to salads. Stinging nettle is said to make a good soup, though I
haven't tried.

Nettle makes a delicious potherb, much better than spinach IMO.