Old 21-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Woofie

Default Where have all the earthworms gone????

"Andrew G" wrote in message ...
"J. Morrow" wrote in message
Hmmm... some people lose their house keys, I lose all the earth worms.

They
seem to have completely disappeared from my garden.

I turned over my compost - they aren't there. I've been digging around my
garden for several weeks now and no sign of the little buggers.

Is it a cause of the drought? Has anyone else noticed this in their

garden?

I noticed the same, both here (sandy soil) and at work (heavy clay at
worst). A lack of worms and even a lack of black beetle larvae. Both were
common.
This was last year, but since plenty of rain they are back in abundance.
My only guess is that they go deeper when the ground is dry, therefore out
of our normal reach.

I think that is what happens. If the drought is more severe they would
probably die but their eggs left behind would hatch when the grond
moisture levels reach the appropriate level.