Old 03-03-2012, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Berberis Red Pillar

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Yesterday I found a Berberis Red Pillar, it was hidden at the back of a
deep
border, is about 6 years old and very overgrown, I cannot decide which is
the best way to prune it. A small tree that was in front of it has been
removed and so it now has plenty of room to grow and be beautiful.

Berberis will take very hard pruning, or even decapitation, and grow
back strongly ( strong new growth of several feet a season when it has a
well established root system like yours). The new growth will be much
straighter and better colour foliage than old stems. All you lose is one
season's flowers and tbh I never like berberis flower colour against the
red/purple leaves.

Janet

I have a Berberis growing very close to a larch-lap six ft. high fence. This
fence needs regular wood treatment so the Berberis needs cutting back to
allow access for painting. The thorns are vicious hence the need to prune.
After each very heavy pruning the bush recovers fantastically !

Bill