Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Berberis Red Pillar

In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:

I have a Berberis growing very close to a larch-lap six ft. high fence. This
fence needs regular wood treatment so the Berberis needs cutting back to
allow access for painting. The thorns are vicious hence the need to prune.
After each very heavy pruning the bush recovers fantastically !

A rule that I find fairly reliable is that any deciduous, natural
shrub can be cut back to ground level and will regrow happily.
Indeed, you can do that annually to some of them! Evergreen ones
don't always like too-frequent cutting back hard.

I took 2/3 off my B. vulgaris last year, on the grounds that it
was it or us, but am expecting it to do its best to restore the
status quo ante this year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.