Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Widely-followed potting-on beliefs.

In article ,
says...

I have always ben sceptical of the theory that one gets the best growth
from potted plants by following the advice of using only a slightly larger
pot than before when potting-on. This doesn't emulate nature, which usually
seems to do things quite efficiently, when left alone, out in the wild-and-
woolly wilds...

On the contrary, nature often provides minimal root space, limited poor
soil, and little nutrition. Plants in that environment have adapted to
thrive in it. Think rocky hillsides, pebbly shores, dense forests.

If you follow the advice, it seems to me that you end up with an
unnaturally dense root structure, with an unnaturally small amount of soil
between each root from which to extract nourishment.

Which is exactly how many plants grow in their native environment, "out
in the wild"; with their roots in very restricted areas competing with
other close vegetation foor food and water.

When plants have evolved to live in cramped starved conditions, giving
them a vast rich soil and root run may produce lush leaf growth at the
expense of flowering and fruiting (figs are an example).

Janet.