Old 04-03-2012, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Widely-followed potting-on beliefs.

"AL_n" wrote in message

I have always ben sceptical of the theory that one gets the best growth
from potted plants by following the advice of using only a slightly larger
pot than before when potting-on. This doesn't emulate nature, which
usually
seems to do things quite efficiently, when left alone, out in the
wild-and-
woolly wilds...

If you follow the advice, it seems to me that you end up with an
unnaturally dense root structure, with an unnaturally small amount of soil
between each root from which to extract nourishment.

So is the "next-size-up" advice good advice, and if so, why?

Thanks,

Al

The main reason is the lack of air and water circulation in pots compared
with the open ground so any compost not being actively used by the root
system has the chance to become stagnant which in turn can start root rots,
its true not every plant will be badly effected but unless I know to the
contrary I try and use a pot that allows my fingers down the side but no
more.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs