Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:

Risk assessment! Now there's a phrase to chill the heart of any
sensible person, and stymie the enjoyment of the most basic pleasure
activity.

It's all to do with insurance and this modern society where ambulance
chasers and claims lawyers with "no win no fee" promises rule!

Boggle. Er, no. It considerably predates that, and is part of
game theory, military strategy, statistics or what have you.
I use it a great deal, including for pleasure activities, usually
to say "What the hell - THAT risk is too low to be worth bothering
with - I'll just do it."

The number of times I have had sloppy thinkers claim that I am
taking ridiculous risks, including recently when I went downhill
skiing for the first time at 64 with no vestibular (inner ear
balance) function at all, is legion. Oh, and no damn helmet.
The risk was negligible, if assessed competently, but they were
still claiming otherwise on the basis of emotional reaction.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.