Old 05-03-2012, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Composting: Cat Manure

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 00:54:36 -0500, songbird wrote:

Dick Adams wrote:
Is there any reason not to put cat manure in a compost bin?

yes, many, including the spread of some
nasty diseases.

any child or pregnant woman can be
severely effected.

songbird

Plus there is no upside to using carnivore crap. Carnivores like cats and
dogs produce very little waste because meat is a highly efficient food
source. Herbivores like cows and horses produce vast quantities of
partially digested plant matter which makes excellent fertilizer compost.
The bulk of cat waste is the kitty litter not the crap. You don't want
modern clumping litter anywhere near your garden, it turns into quick sand
and it never hardens or mixes with the soil. About five years ago I tried
dumping used cat litter into some groundhog holes on the theory that it
contains predator urine which would frighten the groundhogs. It was a huge
mistake, the litter turned in to sticky slurry and stayed that way for
years. I eventually dug it out and dumped it in the woods.