Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Seeds from bulb plant?

On 3/5/12 12:00 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
A while back I requested ID on this plant:

http://tinypic.com/r/214wmjm/5

and response was Tulip.

It is doing well in pot, and producing what look like seeds. I am
collecting these, and before I put time into growing them out, can I
ask: Does a bulb plant like Tulip produce viable seeds?

Inquiring minds...

So Calif Coastal

TIA

HB

Yes, that is how new varieties are created.

Bulbs ususally form pods with the seeds inside. You should wait until
the pod starts to dry on the plant before havesting. You might better
wait until the pod starts to split. If you don't wait, the seeds will
not be sufficiently mature to sprout.

Only allow a very few pods to mature. Seed formation often weakens the
bulb and might inhibit next year's flowers.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see