Old 06-03-2012, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default spade recommendations?

In article ,
Stephen wrote:

I broke our spade trying to dig out some roots. In the past I have
always bought a cheap fork and spade set from somewhere like B&Q. Are
all spades created equal or are the expensive ones better in some way?

Some are, but the increasing dominance of marketing and a few
huge companies means that most are merely more gimmicky. If you
want a stronger spade, you should try to get to a traditional
agricultural supplies merchant. I haven't bought a tool from
one in ages, but they are more likely to be stronger and heavier
than the ones sold for domestic use.

Ditto for forks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.