Old 06-03-2012, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Seeds from bulb plant?

David E. Ross wrote:
In some cases, bulbs will actually reseed themselves. I have a bed of
grape hyacinth (Muscari armeniacum) in my back yard under a peach tree.
The flower stalks are short and very numerous, far too numerous for me
to dead-head them which would require me to go through the bed on my
hands and knees with my nose only inches from the ground. I now have
grape hyacinth coming up in other places, even in the decomposed granite
paths that wend through my garden.

those are beautiful plants and quite a few
nice varieties now with different colors, but
like you've found out, they spread via seed
pretty easily.

i only have a few patches of them and am
trying not to have too many more because they
do crowd out other plants from growing through
because the bulbs get so tightly packed among
each other.

for many of the other spring bulb plants
i've had seeds at times, from crocus, regular
big hyacynths, daffodils and even iris (the
dutch bulb type and also the regular bearded
kinds). the crocus seems to easily grow from
seeds, i always find sprouts in the gardens.
very tiny blades that look like grass or chives
again, but looking closely sorts it out.

oftentimes it is rather hard to believe
that such a long stalk can come from such
a small start. the tiny crocus bulbs can
be 1-2mm across.

songbird