Old 06-03-2012, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default spade recommendations?

On 06/03/2012 11:22, Baz wrote:
wrote in
:

Hello,

I broke our spade trying to dig out some roots. In the past I have
always bought a cheap fork and spade set from somewhere like B&Q. Are
all spades created equal or are the expensive ones better in some way?

I see some are carbon steel and others are stainless steel. I imagine
stainless steel is less likely to rust but in my experience, the
carbon steel ones have not rusted but perhaps that's because they
haven't lasted long enough to rust!

What about forks? I always seem to bend the tines but as with the
spade, that is user-error abusing them to when digging out roots. Are
there any with more robust tines?

One last question: border spades and digging spades. Is the border
spade just a slightly smaller version of the digging spade? Which do
you use, or do you have one of each?

Thanks,
Stephen.

http://tinyurl.com/7dbdces

I have had the previous model for 4 years now, and it has been used to
dig out tree stumps. It is a one piece design and WILL NOT break, even if
you use it as a crowbar as I have. I have bounced on it to get tree roots
out.B&Q sell it but will be cheaper at the builders merchant.

Don't confuse similar ones with rivets joining the spade to the handle,
they WILL break under pressure although better than wooden handles.

I think mine will outlast me.

A border spade or fork is used where a full size tool will not fit the
area which is being dug, also possibly used by the less strong gardeners,
children or elderly for example.

There is not a fork in the world where the tines will not bend under
pressure. You can straighten a tine with the aid of a piece of steel
piping or conduit(not copper because it is not strong enough).

My personal thoughts are to buy an indestructable spade and a cheapish
fork.

Hope this helps
Baz

The plastic handled jobs I saw in Wilkos for £6 something looked pretty
strong. I think Screwfix do them too.